Jeep Canada just launched what it calls "Jeep Code," a Snapchat lens that allows users…
Many users who have configured their printer with their computer encounter an error stating “Scan to the computer is no longer activated”. This notification is rather annoying and can be annoying while working on your Windows machine.
The workarounds for this problem are fairly straightforward; either you can fix the error message by correcting the settings, or you can turn off the notification completely and see where it happens. Take a look below. Start with the first one and work your way down.
Solution 1: Disable “Scan to Computer”
Scan to computer means to scan a document and send it to the computer. This functionality is provided primarily with Hewlett Packard (HP) printers or laptops. It allows easy access for scanning where without going into the hassle of details, you can easily scan any document and send it to your computer.
If this error message pops up over and over, we can try to disable this method. Note that this is primarily intended for HP systems or printers.
- Click on the Printer icon on your desktop and clicking will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
- Now select “Print, scan and fax“at the top of the screen and under the Scan heading, click on”Manage scan to computer”.
- Now click on the Deactivate present and make sure that the line Automatically start scanning to computer when I log into Windows is unchecked.
- Click on Close. Now check if the notification reappears. If so, restart your computer and check again.
Solution 2: Disable ScanToPCActivationApp
The error message you are seeing is caused by a module installed on your computer called ScanToPCActivationApp. This is a module from Hewlett-Packard responsible for managing scan jobs for the computer. It is usually supplied with the full software of the printer you are using. We can prevent this app from starting on its own on startup and check if that makes any difference of any kind.
- Press Windows + R, type “task Manager“in the dialog box and press Enter.
- Once in the task manager, go to the start tab, select ScanToPCActivationApp and click on the Deactivate button below.
- After the service is disabled, restart your computer completely and check if that fixes the problem.
If the app still does not turn off after disabling it, you need to head to the services and try disabling the service by selecting it and clicking Final task.
Solution 3: restart the whole system
Another workaround that proved successful was to restart the entire system (both the computer and the printer). There has been a known issue in printers of all kinds where they go into a bad configuration and are not fixed until they are restarted properly. There was some indication that if the printer was turned on for a while without any activity, it would inevitably not perform to standards.
Power cycling is the process of shutting down your computer / printer completely and removing power.
- Shut down your computer using an appropriate shutdown mechanism. Do the same with your printer.
- Once everything is off, take out the power cord computer and printer.
- Wait for 8-10 minutes before plugging everything back in and starting the system. After connecting the two modules, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4: Update the printer drivers
If all of the above solutions don’t work, we can try updating the printer drivers. You need to go to the manufacturer’s website and download the latest printer drivers available. Make sure you download the exact drivers for your printer. You can look up the model number on the front of your printer or in its box.
To note: There are few cases where a newer driver does not work. In this case, download an older version of the driver and install it using the same method as described below.
- hurry Windows + R to launch the To run Type “devmgmt.mscin the dialog box and hit enter. This will launch your computer’s device manager.
- Navigate through all hardware, open the “Print Queues” submenu, right-click on your printer hardware and select “Update the driver”.
- Now Windows will display a dialog asking you how would you like to update your driver. Select the second option (Browse my computer for driver software) and continue.
Select the driver file you downloaded using the browse button when it appears and update it accordingly.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved.
To note: If you cannot update the drivers manually, you can also select the first option “Automatically check for updated driver software”. This option will force Windows to automatically search the web and select the best available driver. You can also try uninstalling the printer and restarting the computer. This will install the default drivers for the system.