Yuka Food Ratings come from three weighted considerations:60% of the Nutri-Score30% additives10% depending on whether…
When you try to connect your scanner or printer to your computer, you may receive the following error message: “Scan to computer is no longer enabled”.
Many users have reported that this issue is specific to HP. But this problem can be caused by various reasons and can occur to anyone.
Go through this article to find the causes and solutions for this problem.
What causes the “Scan to PC is no longer enabled” Mistake?
External devices connect to the computer through certain channels and applications. A connection error between the computer and the external device can cause this problem. Here are other reasons for this problem:
- Incorrect drivers
- WIA service stopped
- Incompatible software
- Problem with ScanToPCActivationApp
How to correct the error?
Double check your wires if it is a wired connection. And wireless setup in case you have one. And if the problem still persists, try the methods below to fix the problem:
Install the correct drivers
Since scanners and printers are hardware, they require drivers to work. And if the devices do not have the correct drivers, this problem can occur.
You can try removing the drivers so that Windows automatically installs the correct drivers on restart. Follow the steps:
- Access Device Manager from the search bar.
- Open the drop-down menu for print queues.
- Right click on the options one by one.
- Select Uninstall device for each.
- Click on the Uninstall button.
- Restart your PC.
Windows default drivers may not work properly with some devices. You can also try manually installing the appropriate hardware drivers for your particular brand. Search online for drivers for your make and model. And try to follow instructions from genuine websites.
Start the WIA service
WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) is a Windows service for communicating imaging devices with the operating system and drivers. This service should start when you try to connect a printer or scanner to your computer.
Follow the steps to start this service when you start your PC automatically:
- Go to Services from the search bar.
- Move towards Window Image Acquisition.
- Right click on it and select Properties.
- Of Start type: drop-down menu, choose Automatique.
- Click it Begin button in the Service status section,
- Click on Apply so what Ok.
Run ScanToPCActivationApp compatibility mode
As HP itself mentions, the problem is related to their software. ScanToPCActivationApp is one of HP’s services that allows users to connect to their servers. And users reported that this service is not compatible with higher versions of Windows operating system.
To solve the problem, you can run this service in compatibility mode:
- Move towards ScanToPCActivationApp.exe.
- Right click on it and select Properties.
- Open the Compatibility menu.
- Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode to: in The compatibility mode: section.
- Select Windows 8 or 7 from the drop-down menu.
End of scanToPCActivationApp compatibility mode
If the error doesn’t seem to resolve even after running the service in compatibility mode, you can try disabling the service. This will not affect your print and scan process.
- Open Task Manager from the search bar.
- Go to the start section.
- Right click on ScanToPCActivationApp.
- Select Disable option.
You can enable this service whenever needed by following the same process; click Enable finally possibility.
Stop Windows Push Notification
Sometimes notifications keep coming, although scanning and printing are working fine. In such a case, you may need to stop the Windows push notification service.
To do this, follow:
- Open Services from the search bar.
- Scroll to Windows Push Notifications System Service.
- Right click on it and hover All Tasks.
- Select Stop and wait for the dialog box with a progress bar to disappear.
Note: This will also stop all push notifications from other apps. Consider this solution only if nothing else seems to work.
How do I activate the scan to computer function?
If you receive messages asking you to check if the Scan to Computer feature is enabled, you need to enable the feature to fix it. Search for your printer name in the search bar. Click it to open the HP Printer Assistant. Go to Scanner options > Manage scan to computer. Then click on Enable to activate the scan to computer function.
How do I manually add my printer to the computer?
To add your printer, open the control panel via the Windows search bar. Go to Hardware and sound > Devices and printers. Click on Add a printer button. Then follow the steps after choosing your method to add the printer and clicking the next button.